20 Holiday “Grocery Store Helpers” for Quick Appetizers or Snacks
We all need a bit of help in the kitchen from time to time, and especially during the holiday season! In addition to having a few herb and spice blends available for quick flavoring, stock a few quality ingredients and ready-made foods for making quick work of assembling appetizers or snacks.
Look for items that have low or no-added-sugar, are low in sodium, and have no or very few additives.
20 HOLIDAY “GROCERY STORE HELPERS”
Here are 20 pantry items that can be used on their own, served with a sauce or dip, or as a component of a quick recipe.
1. Ready-made Dips and Sauces – hummus, bean dip, guacamole, salsa, tzatziki, cocktail sauce, tapenade
2. Frozen Shrimp
3. Lightly Smoked or Seasoned Salmon or Trout (lower sodium)
4. Canned Tuna, Salmon, or Crab
5. Chicken Meatballs or Fresh Chicken Wings
6. Pre-Cut Fresh Veggies and Fruit
7. Pickled Veggies
8. Stuffed Grape Leaves
9. Assorted Olives
10. Whole-grain or Rice Crackers, Herb or Seasoned Flatbread Crackers
11. Whole-grain Cocktail Bread, Baguette, Pitas, Flatbread
12. Root Veggie Chips, Kale Chips, Tortilla Chips
13. Roasted Chickpeas
14. Frozen or Dry Roasted Edamame
15. Nuts and Seeds
17. Cheese –such as burrata, blue cheese, feta, ricotta, Swiss, goat, parmesan, cheddar
18. Pepper Jelly, Fruit Spread, or Chutney (low sugar)
19. Dried Fruit
20. Dark Chocolate, or Dark Chocolate Nut and Dried Fruit Bark
8 QUICK APPETIZER IDEAS
From those 20 Holiday “Grocery Store Helper” items listed above, numerous appetizers and snacks can be made. Here are 8 to get you started.
- roasted or fresh veggies and white bean or creamy herb dip
- mezze platter – hummus, tzatziki, pita wedges, cucumbers, tomatoes, artichokes, olives, feta cheese
- assorted cheese and apps board – cheeses, stuffed grape leaves, lightly smoked salmon, pickled veggies, dried fruit, fruit spread or pepper jelly, whole-grain crackers or bread
- crab stuffed mushrooms
- shrimp cocktail
- sweet and salty – dark chocolate nut and fruit bark served with popcorn, roasted chickpeas, edamame, or veggie chips
- chicken meatballs with caramelized onion or creamy salsa dip
- bean dip nachos with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, and salsa
What “Grocery Store Helpers” do you love to have on hand for quick assembly of appetizers or snacks? SHARE your ideas in the comments section.
Main Photo: iStock/1010237
© 2021 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserve