photo: Love+Craft Kitchen
For this “comfort in a bowl” breakfast, the coconut milk provides a non-dairy creaminess and inviting flavor dimension. Dark fruits such as fresh blueberries and blackberries or dried cranberries, along with a drizzle of a high-quality fruit balsamic, are the perfect finishing touch or go tropical with fresh or dried sweet mango and toasted coconut flakes. No added sugar is necessary!
This is a great make-ahead dish – either in an Instant Pot or on the stove top. Cool cooked porridge and refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for up to one week. When ready to serve, add a small amount of milk (dairy or non-dairy) to cold porridge and heat thoroughly on stove top or in microwave.
Yield: Approximately 4 – 5 (1 cup) servings
1/3 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
1/3 cup uncooked farro
1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
1 – 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
2 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
– fresh blueberries, blackberries and/or dried cherries, cranberries or mango
– drizzle of high-quality fruit balsamic such as blueberry-ginger, mango or fig
– chopped nuts or toasted coconut
In an Instant Pot
1. Place the oats, farro, wild rice, coconut milk, water, vanilla, and salt into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
2. Close the lid and choose the “Porridge” setting and set timer to 50 minutes.
3. Once cycle is complete, allow pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes, then release. Open lid, stir to combine. NOTE: Porridge will thicken as it cools.
4. Divide into serving bowls and add 1 teaspoon of sweetener, or to taste. Top with desired fresh or dried fruit, nuts or coconut.
On the Stove Top
1. Place the oats, farro, wild rice, coconut milk, water, vanilla, and salt into a medium-sized sauce pan. Stir to combine.
2. Cover pot, bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 45 – 55 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to rest, covered, for 5 – 8 minutes. NOTE: Porridge will thicken as it cools.
3. Uncover, stir to combine well, and divide into serving bowls.
4. Top with desired fruit, balsamic, nuts and/or coconut.
© 2018 Susan Denzer, Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved