Photo: Love + Craft Kitchen Handcrafted Pottery by Fire's Eye Pottery, McMinnville, OR
Jazz up your summer weeknight or weekend menus by serving this cool, refreshing salad as either a side or entree. The sweetness of fresh, perfectly ripened watermelon combined with the tanginess of feta cheese creates a welcome flavor explosion that compliments picnic fare or serves as a satisfying stand-alone treat. Take it to the next level with the addition of grilled shrimp or chicken on a bed of fresh greens to create a fun and enticing entrée. The Berry Balsamic Poppy Seed Vinaigrette plays nicely with many fruits and leafy greens so is a great addition to your repertoire. Enjoy them all!
Makes: 6 – 8 servings
1 seedless watermelon (3 – 4 pounds), rind removed and fruit cubed into bite-sized pieces
1-pint fresh blueberries or blackberries, or combination, washed
3 – 4 kiwis, peeled, halved and sliced
Berry Balsamic Poppy Seed Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
4 – 6 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
Chopped nuts, optional garnish (hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, or another favorite)
Mint leaves, optional garnish
- Equally divide and arrange the watermelon, blueberries, and kiwi among small individual serving bowls or plates,
- Drizzle lightly with Berry Balsamic Poppy Seed Vinaigrette – approximately 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons per bowl.
- Top with a sprinkle of feta cheese. Garnish with chopped nuts and/or mint leaves, if desired. Serve immediately.
SHRIMP or CHICKEN-WATERMELON-BLUEBERRY ENTRÉE SALAD
BERRY BALSAMIC POPPY SEED VINAIGRETTE
Makes approximately 3/4 cup
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup berry balsamic vinegar (suggest blackberry, blueberry or strawberry)
½ teaspoon minced shallot
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
pinch freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard and basil until emulsified.
- Add the poppy seeds, salt and pepper and whisk until combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Refrigerated vinaigrette may become semi-solid. Bring to room temperature approximately 20 – 30 minutes prior to serving. Whisk together when ready to use.
© 2018 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved