Photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
“Fish en Papillote,” or fish curled or wrapped in paper, sounds complicated and a bit mysterious but is actually quite easy to do. All of the ingredients are assembled into paper packets, then baked at a medium-high heat so that they steam to perfection in about 15 – 20 minutes.
Each packet provides a single serving so it’s a fun way to treat yourself and/or guests at dinner. If parchment paper is not available, use foil instead. For creating the parchment packets, either use rectangular pieces or cut heart shapes as directed HERE by bonappetit.com.
For a slight variation, lemon works well in place of the blood orange.
Servings: 2 (This recipe can easily be scaled up to provide additional servings.)
12 asparagus spears, washed, patted dry, tough ends removed
½ yellow bell pepper, washed, patted dry, cored, thinly sliced
¼ – ½ red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
1 medium-size clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (4-6 ounce) white fish fillets – halibut, sole, hake, flounder, cod, other
1 blood orange, 1/2 of it zested before cutting, ½ thinly sliced from the non-zested part, ½ juiced, seeds removed
4 sprigs of thyme
2 tablespoons ghee (or unsalted butter)
Ground black pepper
Parchment paper or foil for making packets
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. and prepare the parchment paper or foil for packets.
2. ASSEMBLE – For each of the packets, divide and layer the asparagus, bell pepper slices, and onion slices.
- If using parchment paper – arrange the ingredients in the center of one half of the packet so that the other half can be folded over the top when ready to seal.
- If using foil, arrange the ingredients in the center of the sheet so the ends can be brought up to the center when ready to seal.
Sprinkle a small amount of garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a small amount of orange zest over the vegetables in each packet. Season the vegetables lightly with salt and pepper.
Place the fish fillets on top of the vegetables. Top with slices of orange and 2 sprigs of thyme per packet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter and 1 tablespoon of orange juice over the top of each fish fillet. Season each packet once again with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper over the top of the ingredients.
3. SEAL the packets – folding the edges tightly so steam does not escape, and leaving space in the middle over the ingredients.
4. BAKE – Place packets on a baking sheet. Bake until the fish is cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove from oven.
5. SERVE – Cut each packet open one at a time and transfer to individual plates using a sturdy spatula. Remove the stem from the thyme and discard. Drizzle any remaining juices over the top of the fish and vegetables on the plates.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved