photo: Love+Craft Kitchen
Chicken with Savory Rhubarb Sauce served with Roasted Broccoli Rabe
This recipe is a variation of Skillet Chicken with Rhubarb, Melissa Clark, NYT Cooking.
It may seem like an unusual pairing – chicken and rhubarb – yet rhubarb has been used in savory recipes for centuries. Here, it works splendidly. I’ve heightened the sauce with turmeric, cardamom and nutmeg, making it rich, savory and nutritious. The flavors are bright with citrus notes, and one would not necessarily guess rhubarb was an ingredient!
Choose any cut-up, bone-in chicken pieces as desired. This sauce also works well with pork chops or pork tenderloin (adjust cooking times accordingly).
5 – 5 ½ pounds cut-up, bone-in, skin-on chicken
1 tablespoon + ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
4 – 5 green onions or scallions – washed, ends trimmed, white and green parts, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1 cup white wine
3 cups diced rhubarb, fresh or frozen – washed, ends trimmed, ¼ – ½ inch dice
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves – removed from stems (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 tablespoon honey (or 1/2 tablespoon raw honey)
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry. Combine the 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black in a small bowl and use to lightly season both sides of each piece of chicken.
- In a large covered skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat on the stovetop. Carefully add the chicken pieces skin-side down to the hot oil. Brown for approximately 3 minutes, then flip to the other side, browning for an additional 3 minutes. Brown in batches if necessary. Transfer chicken pieces to a platter.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. In the same skillet or Dutch oven, add the onions and stir to sauté. Cook for approximately 1 – 2 minutes until just soft, careful not to burn. Add the garlic, and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, allowing it to bubble for a few seconds, then deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the rhubarb, thyme, honey, turmeric, cardamom, nutmeg, remaining ¼ teaspoon of Kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the other ingredients in the pan. Cover and simmer at a low heat for 20 – 25 minutes . When completely cooked (internal temperature of 165°F), removed the chicken pieces, placing them on a serving platter. Cover and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
NOTE: Chicken breasts may cook more quickly than chicken thighs and legs; transfer them to a serving platter if cooked completely through, cover, and allow the remaining chicken pieces to finish cooking.
- Finish preparing the sauce by whisking the butter (if using) into remaining ingredients in the pan. The rhubarb should be cooked down to a thick sauce consistency, yet not completely smooth. Spoon or pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and serve.
- If omitting the butter, simply stir the sauce to combine all of the ingredients in the pan before pouring over the chicken.
- Over any cooked whole grains, polenta, orzo pasta or couscous
- Alongside fresh or cooked greens, sautéed or roasted broccolini, broccoli rabe, fresh green beans, peas or any vegetable medley.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved