photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
Bright and fruity with a slight touch of savory, this easy-to-prepare dressing is a fun addition to fresh fruit bowls and mixed green salads. It can be prepared any time of year using fresh or frozen blueberries, and for a flavor variation, try using fresh or frozen sweet cherries.
Makes approximately 2 cups dressing
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained if frozen
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup blueberry balsamic vinegar (good quality, sweet, fruity flavor)
2 teaspoons honey
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground dry mustard
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Using a regular blender or wand blender, combine the blueberries, oil, vinegar, honey, salt and mustard. Process until very smooth and emulsified.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Serve immediately, as desired, or store the dressing in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
FLAVOR VARIATION: Cherry-Poppy Seed Dressing
- Use cherry balsamic instead of the blueberry balsamic
- Use fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries in place of the blueberries
- Drizzle over fresh fruit such as berries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi, pineapple, mango or watermelon for a refreshing addition to breakfast, brunch or lunch.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over the top of the dressed fruit salad and serve as an appetizer or first course. (This makes a great “Red, White and Blue Salad” for July 4 with blueberries, watermelon, strawberries or cherries and feta cheese!)
- Drizzle over fresh Butter, Bibb or Leaf lettuce topped with grilled chicken breast, nuts, avocado, fresh blueberries (or other fruit) and feta or goat cheese for a flavorful entrée salad.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved