Photo: Ella Olsson on Unsplash
Can one continue to eat well on the run without a kitchen?
Here’s one strategy this chef uses, especially when on the road.
On a recent trip to Minnesota, I was reminded of the challenges of eating well when routines are upended. Although I enjoyed several wonderfully healthy meals, the visit took an unexpected turn which presented some inherent food challenges.
One resource I find particularly helpful when traveling is what I call “Grocery Store Helpers”. Grocery stores offer many delicious snack and meal options that are easy to take out and greatly support the desire to eat well. I make it part of my travel routine to stop by a grocery store soon after arriving to pick up a few things. This approach helps me feel better during my trip and also lowers my overall food costs, which is an added bonus.
Produce, Refrigerated Sections, and Center Aisles –
Check the produce, refrigerated, and center aisles for a variety of fresh and ready-made items.
- Cheese + Whole Grain or Rice Crackers
- Veggies + Dip or Hummus
- Salads + Vinaigrette
- Guacamole or Salsa + Tortilla Chips
- Seasoned Chickpeas
- Yogurt and Kefir (dairy or non-dairy varieties)
- Nuts and Seeds
- Nut Butter + Whole Grain or Rice Crackers or Apple Slices
- Fresh and Dried Fruit
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Pickled Vegetables
- Whole grain or gluten-free buns or pita
- Snack Bars
- Plain Water or Sparkling Water
- Green or Herbal Tea Bags
From the Deli Counter –
Grocery store and co-op delis offer a variety of ready-made options including vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
- Indian Entrees + Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Build-A-Bowl + Brown Rice or Quinoa
- Grilled or Sautéed Meat, Fish, Seafood
- Roasted or Grilled Veggies
- Whole Grain Salads
- Green or Vegetable Salads
- Deviled Eggs
- Soup and Chili
- Rotisserie Chicken
- No added sugar, low or non-processed meats, such as turkey or chicken
(I make roll-ups with mayo, hummus, or tzatziki sauce + spinach, super greens or grilled veggies.)
Look For –
- No added sugar
- Low sodium
- Low or minimally processed
- Real ingredients (real food), avoid additives
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved