photo: Love+Craft Kitchen
Enjoy this warmly spiced, low sugar dessert featuring fresh fruit, oats, nuts, honey and healthy walnut oil for an added nutritious punch. Enjoy it with or without a whipped topping. For seasonal flavor variations, use strawberries and rhubarb, mixed berries or peaches in place of the apples.
To prepare a gluten-free version, use a 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour such as Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour or King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour.
The recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated, or frozen for up to 2 months. Bring to room temperature, then warm when ready to serve.
Makes: 1- 8 or 9-inch baking dish
5 – 6 apples, peeled, cored, diced (6 cups finished)
1 tablespoon all-purpose or gluten-free flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons all-purpose or gluten-free flour
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons walnut oil (or other nut or seed oil or olive oil)
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish with olive or avocado oil cooking spray, wiping excess away with a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the fruit filling ingredients. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, place the oats, almonds, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix to combine well. Add the walnut oil and honey and mix well until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the fruit in the baking dish.
- Bake approximately 40 – 55 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and topping is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved