photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
The fresh and tangy flavors of traditional Greek salad pair wonderfully with the slight earthy and nuttiness of cooked lentils and quinoa. Serve this salad as a main course – lentils and quinoa are terrific protein sources – or as an accompaniment to grilled or roasted items. Canned artichokes can be used in place of frozen. Look for those packed in water, not marinated. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water, about 1 minute, to remove as much sodium as possible.
The salad and vinaigrette can be prepared ahead (through step 3) and stored separately in the refrigerator, then tossed together just prior to serving.
Makes: approximately 4 servings
5 ounces fresh mixed greens, spinach or super greens, washed, dried, torn
1 cup cooked brown, green or black lentils
1 cup cooked quinoa
½ cucumber, diced or thinly sliced
¼ large red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts (frozen), thawed, excess moisture pressed out
1/4 – 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare the lentils and quinoa according to package directions, and allow to cool completely before assembling the salad.
- In large mixing bowl, place the greens lentils, quinoa, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, artichokes, olives and half of the cheese. Gently toss a few times.
- In small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, oregano, thyme, honey, salt and pepper until fully combined and emulsified.
- Pour about half of the dressing over the salad mixture and toss gently to coat lightly. Add more vinaigrette as needed to coat the salad, but do not overdress.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the lentils and quinoa to absorb some of the flavors. Taste, and add more vinaigrette if needed. Top with the remaining cheese and serve.
© 2020 Susan Denzer, Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved