Photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
This light and satisfying salad is a take on the classic French potato salad with a white wine vinaigrette. A waxy potato such as Red Bliss, Fingerling, or new potatoes work well in potato salads. Use fresh green or yellow beans and thinly slice them with a French bean slicer or a small knife. The salad can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for later, but for best flavor serve it slightly cool or at room temperature.
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
2 pounds small red, golden or new potatoes, washed, unpeeled, cut in half or bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons dry white wine or apple cider
2 tablespoons vegetable or chicken stock
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar or Champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, pressed or finely minced (about ½ teaspoon)
1 ½ teaspoons fresh tarragon leaves or ¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces fresh green or yellow beans, washed, tops cut off, sliced in half lengthwise, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces (about 1 cup cut up beans)
2 cups cold water
2 – 3 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced crosswise
- Place the potatoes into a large saucepan with lid and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender but hold their shape – about 6 – 8 minutes, depending on size and type.
- Mix together the white wine and stock in a small prep dish. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix up the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, tarragon, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper until fully emulsified.
- Drain the potatoes and place them into a large mixing bowl. Pour the white wine and stock mixture over the potatoes, mix gently to coat, and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are resting, steam the green beans. Place the green beans into a small sauce pan or skillet. Add the 2 cups of cold water. Bring the water to low boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover the pan and steam the beans until tender but slightly crisp and holding their shape, about 3 – 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Gently pat dry.
- Add the beans, green onions and remaining ½ teaspoon Kosher salt to the potatoes. Pour the vinaigrette over top and toss gently to coat. Allow salad to sit for about 10 minutes before serving to blend flavors. Serve at room temperature.
© 2020 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved