Photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
Cauliflower rice is now quite readily available in the freezer section of grocery stores and comes in so handy for quick dinner prep. Cauliflower amazingly takes on seasonings wonderfully and can be a fun change from regular rice. This particular flavor profile is a great “go to” – it pairs well with Indian, Thai, grilled foods and even Mediterranean dishes. Create a pilaf variation by adding a few diced bell peppers, zucchini, or other favorite veggies, and maybe a sprinkling of dried fruit or chopped cashews or pistachios.
Riced raw cauliflower can be used in place of the frozen but the sauté time will be several minutes longer than is listed in this recipe.
Makes: 4 – 6 servings
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 – 1 1/2 pounds of frozen riced cauliflower
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
1/4 cup canned coconut milk
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped for garnish
1/4 fresh lemon, cut into a wedge
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and just starting to brown. Add the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds, until fragrant, careful not to burn.
- Add the cauliflower rice and sauté until just starting to soften and the moisture has evaporated – approximately 2 – 3 minutes. You may need to raise the heat slightly for 1 -2 minutes to help the moisture evaporate more quickly, then reduce it back to medium.
- Add the turmeric, salt and pepper; stir to coat all of the cauliflower and continue to sauté for another 1 – 2 minutes. The cauliflower should be soft but still hold its shape and be a bit “chewy”.
- Add the coconut milk to the sauté pan and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a serving bowl or platter. Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh herbs and a squirt of lemon over top. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Leftover cauliflower rice can be cooled and refrigerated for up to one week in a tightly sealed container.
© 2021 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved