5 Simple Ingredients Swaps to Support Better Health
There are a variety of reasons for which a person may need or choose to adjust their diet. Making dietary changes can sometimes feel overwhelming and daunting, but a few simple adjustments to favorite dishes can keep the enjoyment in the dining experience.
Here are 5 simple ingredient swaps and related recipes that will not compromise flavor or leave you feeling deprived. You may even find you prefer these changes!
1. Traditional or Fruit Balsamic Vinegar in place of Added Sugar
Add a splash or more of a good quality traditional or fruit balsamic vinegar to fresh fruit, beverages, smoothies, sauces, oatmeal or porridge, or yogurt in place of granulated sugar. They add a sweetness and depth of flavor that is surprising.
Related Recipe: Apple-Cranberry Chutney
2. Coconut Aminos in place of Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce
If soy and/or gluten are a concern for you, use coconut aminos just as you would soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.
Related Recipe: Thai-Style Red Curry with Salmon
3. Apple or Cranberry Juice (with no added sugar) in place of Wine or Spirits in Cooking
Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup juice in place of wine or spirits for deglazing a pan, or for adding flavor to soups, stews, chili, roasts, braises, and other slow-cooked items.
Related Recipe: Chili With or Without Beans
4. Canned Coconut Milk in place of Heavy Cream or Other Milk Choices
For a dairy-free and plant-based option, use coconut milk in place of heavy cream in soups, stews, curries, gravies, sauces, oatmeal or porridge, and baking. Coconut milk or cream can also be chilled thoroughly and whipped for use as a creamy dessert topping. Refrigerated oat milk also works well as a replacement for cream or dairy milk.
Related Recipe: Multi-Grain Breakfast Porridge
5. Veggies in place of Gluten Products
– Spaghetti squash or spiralized veggies instead of pasta noodles
– Riced cauliflower pizza crust instead of traditional pizza crust
– Root vegetables in soups and stews in place of pasta
Related Recipe: Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Do you have an ingredient swap that works well? Share it with us in the comments section.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: iStock