Blood Orange-Fennel Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
The combination of blood oranges and fennel offer a refreshing burst of sunshine in winter in this light and flavorful salad! Choose any mixed greens you enjoy (arugula and/or frisee pair nicely) and feel free to substitute almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts for the pistachios.
To make the blood orange “supremes”, check out this instruction guide from marthastewart.com – How to Supreme Citrus Fruit. Once the oranges are sectioned, squeeze the juice from the remaining membranes into a small bowl to use in the vinaigrette.
Makes: 4 Servings
For the Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice (squeezed from the sectioned orange membranes)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (about ½ teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Salad:
10 ounces mixed greens (spinach, curly endive, escarole, other mixed greens)
1 fennel bulb, shaved or thinly sliced
2 blood oranges, peeled, sectioned into “supremes” (squeeze the juice from the membranes for the vinaigrette)
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled, roasted
1/2 – 3/4 cup Manchego cheese, shredded or crumbled (optional)
Prepare the Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until fully combined and emulsified.
- Set aside to allow flavors to blend for at least 15 minutes.
- Use immediately or store in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
Assemble the Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, place the mixed greens. Drizzle with a small amount of the vinaigrette and toss to lightly coat. Add more vinaigrette if needed.
- On individual salad plates or a large serving platter, arrange a bed of the dressed mixed greens and top with the fennel, avocado slices and orange supremes. Drizzle with an additional small amount of the vinaigrette.
- Garnish each plate with the pistachio nuts and the cheese, if using.
© 2021 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: Love + Craft Kitchen