Creamy Brussels Sprouts Soup
Brussels sprouts are an excellent source of protein, fiber, disease-fighting vitamins and minerals. To change up the usual, here’s an unexpectedly delicious way of serving them that adds interest to fall and winter meals and holiday menus. Use small, fresh, tightly leaved sprouts for best flavor. Serve it with a crusty, whole grain bread or citrus and mixed greens salad.
Makes: 4 – 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek, sliced ½ inch thick, washed thoroughly, patted dry
½ cup diced carrot
½ cup diced parsnip
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound brussels sprouts, washed, end trimmed, cut into quarters
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock or broth (low or no sodium)
2 teaspoons coconut aminos or Worcestershire sauce (low sodium)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup oat milk, coconut milk or ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
optional garnishes – sauteed brussels sprout leaves, almond slices or pistachios, drizzle of pumpkin seed oil
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or pot. Add the leek, carrot and parsnip, and saute for approximately 10 minutes, until lightly browned and tender. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds more. Add the brussels sprouts, stir, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the stock or broth, coconut aminos or Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover pot and reduce heat to low, continue to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, until brussels sprouts are very soft.
- Using a regular blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until very smooth. Do so in batches if necessary.
- Stir in the oat milk, coconut milk or ricotta cheese. Make sure all is evenly distributed and smooth. Add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish as desired.
To Store: Soup can be cooled and refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for up to three months.
© 2020 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: Love + Craft Kitchen