Fresh-baked cornbread is truly a comforting treat! Enjoy it for breakfast, or savor it with lunch or dinner, especially with a soup or stew, or chicken or pork entree. This recipe takes a slight turn on tradition by pairing oats and cornmeal for a slightly nutty, extra nutritious punch. It is lightly sweetened with raw honey which contains a wide variety of nutrients.
Using good quality whole grains takes baked goods to the next level. Two whole-grain brands that I recommend are:
- Bob’s Red Mill
- Anson Mills
I like to use course or medium-grind, stone-ground yellow cornmeal for flavor and texture. For a gluten-free option, 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour works nicely in place of the wheat four.
To make it vegan:
- make vegan buttermilk: mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice, white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar into 1/2 cup of soy milk. Stir to combine, then set aside for 5 – 10 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- An egg substitute can be used that equals one large egg.
- maple syrup or another plant-based sweetener can be used in place of honey.
For cornbread, preheating the baking pan is great a technique for creating brown, lightly crispy edges. The batter sizzles when poured into the preheated pan!
Makes: one 8” square or round baking pan (glass, cast iron, or another type)
1/2 cup cornmeal (stone ground yellow, preferred; 72 grams)
1/3 cup rolled oats (32 grams)
1/4 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour or 1 to 1 gluten-free baking blend (30 grams)
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons olive oil + 1 1/2 tablespoons for baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Coat the bottom and sides of the baking dish with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, leaving any excess in the bottom.
- Place the cornmeal, rolled oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together to fully combine. Add the corn to the mixture and toss to coat.
- In a small mixing bowl, place the buttermilk, egg, honey, and olive oil. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix the ingredients until they just come together, careful not to over mix. Batter will be slightly thin.
- Preheat the baking dish with olive oil in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and pour the batter into it. The batter will begin to sizzle along the sides. Return the pan to the oven and bake the cornbread for 14 – 16 minutes, until lightly golden brown and cooked through – a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the center of the cornbread springs back when gently touched.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and allow to rest in the pan for 3 minutes. Either slice the cornbread and serve from the pan or carefully loosen the sides and bottom and turn it out onto a cutting board or plate. Serve warm with plain butter or honey butter.
Flavor Variations: Add one of the following ingredients (to taste) to the dry ingredients, tossing to coat and distribute.
- Jalapeno Cornbread – 1/4 – 1/3 cup minced jalapeno
- Cheddar Cornbread – 1/3 – 1/2 cup shredded medium or sharp cheddar cheese
Main Photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
© 2022 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved