Mixed Greens and Citrus Salad with Grapefruit-Thyme Vinaigrette
Create a welcome burst of citrus sunshine with this light and flavorful salad! Choose any mixed greens for your liking and feel free to substitute almonds for the pistachios. Instructions for roasting beets follow the salad recipe, but if time is short, steamed beets from the produce section of the grocery store work well. To make the grapefruit “supremes”, check out this handy instruction guide from Martha Stewart (www.marthastewart.com) – How to Supreme Citrus Fruit.
Also, brighten grilled or roasted vegetables with a drizzle of the Grapefruit-Thyme Vinaigrette or use it as a marinade for seafood.
For the Salad:
10 – 12 ounces mixed greens (spinach, curly endive, escarole, other mixed greens)
2 roasted or steamed golden beets, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large Ruby Red grapefruit, sectioned into “supremes” (see the note above)
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled, roasted
1/2 – 3/4 cup Manchego cheese, shredded or crumbled
For the Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice (from ½ grapefruit)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed (about ½ teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Prepare the Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until fully combined and emulsified.
- Set aside to allow flavors to blend for at least 15 minutes.
- Use immediately or store in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
Assemble the Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, place the mixed greens. Drizzle with a small amount of the vinaigrette and toss to lightly coat. Add more vinaigrette if needed.
- On individual salad plates, arrange a bed of the dressed mixed greens and top with the beets, avocado slices, and grapefruit supremes. Drizzle with an additional small amount of the vinaigrette.
- Garnish each plate with the pistachio nuts and cheese. Serve.
ADDITIONAL RECIPE – ROASTED BEETS:
NOTE: Beets may be prepared ahead for later use. When cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
2 large golden beets, peeled (about 1 – 2 pounds before peeling)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme)
Light sprinkling each of Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a small baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems; discard stems. Set aside.
- Remove the tops and the roots of the beets and peel each one. Cut the beets in half and place into a small mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper over the beets. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the beets to the prepared baking dish. Place into the oven and roast for 35 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally, until the beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Beets may be served warm or cold. When ready to use, slice or dice the beets.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: Love+Craft Kitchen