My favorite way to have beets! Roasted beets, with their candy-like flavor, can turn even the most skeptical eater into a believer. Beets are a power-packed superfood. Not only are they anti-inflammatory and contain anti-oxidants, but also are helpful to the body’s detoxification process. In addition, they contain many essential vitamins and minerals such as folate and other B vitamins, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C.
Dark red or purple beets are what come to mind most often, yet many varieties are available – yellow, orange, white, and even red and white striped. Some varieties look similar to a carrot in shape and color, and sugar beets actually resemble a turnip. As for flavor profile, dark red beets are more strongly flavored and earthy, while lighter-colored beets are generally milder and sweet.
USES FOR ROASTED BEETS
- in a salad
- as a side dish
- pureed into a dip or spread
- added to a soup
- added to a smoothie
Makes: 3 – 4 Roasted Beets
3 – 4 beets, washed and peeled (any color)
2 tablespoon avocado oil
2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or herb blend)
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prepare a small baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- If using fresh thyme leaves, strip the thyme leaves from the stems; discard stems. Set aside.
- Slice off the tops and the root ends of the beets and peel each one. Cut the beets in half or quarters and place them into a medium mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the avocado oil and toss to coat.
- Transfer the beets to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the fresh thyme leaves or dried herbs, salt, and pepper over the beets. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes, turn beets over. Leave uncovered and continue roasting until the beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about another 20 – 30 minutes, depending on size.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Beets may be served warm or cold and can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
© 2018 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main Photo: Love+Craft Kitchen