Here’s a great tasting, cool, crisp, easy recipe for hot summer days –
Salmon + Avocado Lettuce Wraps with Green Goddess Sauce.
These lettuce wraps have health and brain-boosting written all over them! Between the simply prepared salmon, avocado, yogurt, and fresh herbs, they are not only delicious and satisfying but also super good fuel for our bodies.
The Green Goddess Sauce adds a creamy, herbaceous flavor that truly compliments and finishes the dish. Use it with any fish or seafood, chicken, tofu, or vegetables.
Who said “healthy” isn’t delicious?
Makes: 8 wraps
2 salmon filets (6 ounces each)
ground black pepper
8 large lettuce leaves, washed and thoroughly dried
(such as Bibb, Boston, Butter, red or green leaf lettuce, Romaine, Swiss Chard, collard greens, or Savoy cabbage)
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1/4 red onion or Vidalia onion, peeled, thin sliced
1/2 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, thin sliced
Green Goddess Sauce – recipe follows
roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat a grill (high), or an oven (425 degrees F). Brush each salmon fillet with olive oil, then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If grilling – place the fillets on the preheated grill. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and grill for 4 – 6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness. Carefully turn the fillets over half way through cooking.
- If roasting in the oven – place the fillets in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Roast for 4 – 6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness. The fillets do not need to be turned halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the cooked salmon to a cutting board and allow it to cool slightly or completely. Once cool, cover and refrigerate if not used immediately. When ready to use, slice the fillets into 1” strips.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps:
- Fill each lettuce leaf with a few strips of salmon, avocado, onion, and bell pepper.
- Top with about 2 – 3 tablespoons of Green Goddess Sauce and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately. Any leftover wraps can be placed into a tightly sealed container and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
GREEN GODDESS SAUCE
Makes: approximately 1 1/4 cups of sauce
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup packed fresh dill
1/2 of a medium-sized avocado, chopped
1 small clove of garlic, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (low or no added sugar; regular or vegan)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste, Worcestershire (low sodium), or coconut aminos
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and puree until very smooth and well combined.
- Transfer the sauce to a covered storage container and chill for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 – 7 days.
© 2022 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: Love + Craft Kitchen