Southwestern flavors and additional veggies put a new spin on an old summer classic! The yin and yang of the citrus and balsamic combined with earthy cumin give a balanced yet tantalizing burst of flavor. Pair this slaw with grilled or roasted meat, fish or seafood as a side dish, or add it to tacos, wraps, and sandwiches.
As an added bonus, the dressing is prepared with good quality fats and has no added sugar, unlike most pre-made dressing and deli slaw available.
Makes approximately 6 cups of coleslaw
6 cups cabbage, shredded (about ½ of a regular, Napa or Savoy cabbage)
1 cup shredded carrots (about 1 large or 2 small)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/3 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet or red onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise (regular or vegan; with no added sugar)
1/4 cup Greek, regular or plant-based yogurt
1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice (suggest navel or blood orange)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (no added sugar)
1 teaspoon dried cilantro (or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans, almonds, toasted pumpkin, or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Add the cabbage, carrot, zucchini, fennel, and onion to a large mixing bowl. Toss gently to combine well.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the mayo, yogurt, oil, orange juice, balsamic, mustard, cilantro, cumin, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Whisk together until very smooth and creamy.
- Pour the creamy dressing over the cabbage mixture. Toss well to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to chill and allow flavors to develop.
NOTE: Slaw may look a bit dry when mixing but will soften, condense and become more coated after refrigeration.
- When ready to serve, stir, transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish as desired.
© 2018 Susan Denzer, Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main Photo: Love+Craft Kitchen