Zesty Curry Dip
Warm spices really make this dip a sensation. It’s been a repeated hit even with those who proclaim not to enjoy curry or horseradish!
Using a curry spice blend is a quick way to incorporate many warm spices into a recipe in one fell swoop. There are many curry formulations available so choose a favorite sweet version. Depending on the selection, the color of the dip may be more or less yellow, orange, or red. Also, selecting a good quality white or light fruit-infused balsamic makes a difference. It provides a bit of sweetness (believe it or not!) and acid for balance in the recipe, along with some nice health benefits. Avoid using tart, astringent vinegar.
Makes: 2 cups of dip
1 cup mayonnaise (preferably no-added sugar variety)
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (preferably no-added sugar variety)
3 teaspoons sweet curry spice blend
2 teaspoons good quality white or light fruit-infused balsamic vinegar (such as champagne, ginger-grape, lemon, apple, or peach)
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon raw honey
Assorted fresh or roasted vegetables, chips, or crackers for serving
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, place the mayo, sour cream, curry, vinegar, horseradish, shallot, garlic, and honey. Stir until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The flavors will blend and develop, and the dip will thicken slightly.
- Stir just prior to serving. Serve with assorted fresh vegetables, chips or crackers.
- Dip can be prepared 1 day ahead, covered and refrigerated until ready to use; unused dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 5 days.
- Try a dollop on a burger or sandwich, or as a condiment for roasted chicken or pork.
© 2019 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Main photo: iStock/534110932