Savory Herb and Cheese Quick Bread
Savor this moist and delicious “cake” as the French do, with an aperitif of Champagne or wine, or enjoy it as part of a brunch, lunch or dinner.
This recipe for Savory Herb and Cheese Quick Breas is extremely adaptable and allows for much creativity. Change the variety of herbs or cheese depending on what you have available, use other chopped nuts or leave them out completely, add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, roasted vegetables, bacon, or other savory ingredients. You may also wish to vary the amounts of herbs or cheese to your taste.
YIELD: 1 loaf (9” x 5”)
1 1/4 cups (150 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup yogurt
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (combination of basil, parsley, marjoram)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9” x 5” loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, yogurt, and cheese. Stir in the cheese, shallot, herbs, and walnuts until well combined.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture, and stir just until combined. Do not overmix, a few lumps may remain.
- Transfer the dough to the baking pan, spreading evenly from the center to the edges.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until the loaf is lightly golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for about 3 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen, then turn it out onto a wire rack. Turn right-side up, and allow to cool to slightly warm or room temperature. Slice and serve.
Although best enjoyed when fresh-baked, bread may be wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. Freshen by warming slightly in the oven.
photo: Love + Craft Kitchen
© 2018 Love + Craft Kitchen, LLC, All Rights Reserved